American Queen Announces Mark Twain Itinerary
American Queen Announces Mark Twain Itinerary, Celebrating an American Icon
The American Queen Steamboat Company , operator of the world’s largest and most opulent paddlewheel vessels, announces details for one of its best-selling itineraries around American author, Mark Twain. Taking place between Aug. 22-30, the nine-day voyage includes a tour of Twain’s hometown in Hannibal, Mo., onboard lectures from esteemed historians and special appearances by Mark Twain tribute artist, Lewis Hankins.
“The Mississippi River played a major influence in Twain’s work from his days as a riverboat pilot to stories like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer ,” shares American Queen Steamboat Company President and COO Ted Sykes. “We can’t think of a more compelling way to explore his life than by offering a voyage complete with top-of-the-line entertainment and programming.”
Highlights of the trip include:
- Included pre-cruise hotel stay in St. Louis, Mo.
- Onboard presentations from Cindy Lovell, executive director of the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, Ct. and Henry Sweets, executive director of Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum, Hannibal, Mo. including:
– Life on the Mississippi , an interactive session including highlights of Twain’s time on the river, a special reading from the book and a “lightning round” of Mississippi River Jeopardy
– Mark Twain Today: His Relevance and Reach , a discussion on what recently made Smithsonian magazine dub Mark Twain as the number one influence in pop culture
– An Evening with Mr. Clemens , an evening performance by Lewis Hankins, bringing Mark Twain to life
– Hannibal: Portrait of a River Town , a glimpse back to the founding of Hannibal in 1819 up to 1860, which encompasses Mark Twain’s boyhood years
– Tom Sawyer: Also Known as Samuel Clemens , a lecture introducing the people, places and events from Twain’s childhood that made their way into his classic novel, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
– Q&A with Cindy Lovell, Henry Sweets and Lewis Hankins
– A Day at the Mark Twain Museum , a lecture from Henry Sweets on the unusual inquiries, famous visitors and frustrated genealogists who visit Twain’s boyhood home
- Included tour of Hannibal, Mo. aboard the “Twainland Express” with stops to the Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum
- Musical matinee by the American Queen ensemble cast evoking “Life on the Mississippi”
Offering the most inclusive river cruise experience in North America, the nine-day Mark Twain Itinerary fares begin at $2,699 per person based on double occupancy. All journeys include a one-night pre-voyage hotel stay, shore tours in all ports, complimentary wine and beer with dinner and a host of other amenities. For additional information and reservations, kindly contact the American Queen Steamboat Company at 888-749-5280 , visit the website or call a professional travel agent.
American Queen Steamboat Company
The American Queen Steamboat Company (AQSC) is the owner and