The Elbe River is one of Europe’s most storied waterways as well as the site of one of the most famous military link-ups in world history: the monumental meeting between the forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union on April 25, 1945. Join historians and best-selling authors Antony Beevor and James Holland as we revisit this monumental meeting near Torgau. This convergence was the result of years of hard-won battles, and meant that the end of the war was finally near.
From the east, the Soviet Union won a long and vicious battle in Stalingrad from November 1942, to February 1943, and embarked on a slow and costly push toward Germany. In the West, American forces faced a difficult and costly 100 days in Normandy, overcoming fierce German resistance in the Huertgen Forest and the Ardennes to cross the Rhine and push toward Berlin. Once both forces reached the banks of the Elbe, photographers spent days arranging photos of the soldiers shaking hands and celebrating.
During the cruise, visit the rebuilt city of Dresden, site of one of the most infamous bombing raids in history; tour the birthplace of the Protestant Reformation in Wittenburg, with stops at the All Saints Church and the Luther House; and bear witness the Nazis’ attempt to hide the true nature of their extermination policies from the world at Theresienstadt Concentration Camp.
- 8-night river cruise experience aboard the newly launched 4-star MS Elbe Princesse
- 8 breakfasts, 7 lunches, and 8 dinners
- Welcome and farewell receptions
- Free flow beer, wine, spirits, coffee, water, tea, and soft drinks with included on board throughout the cruise
- A comprehensive collection of included shore experiences
- Personal listening devices on all included touring
- Entrance fees to all sights, museums and attractions, as highlighted
- VIP access to sites not offered on other tours
- Video oral-history presentations from the Museum collection
- Private, first-class, air-conditioned motor coach transportation on all shore excursions
- Roundtrip airport transfers (when arriving and departing on scheduled group tour dates)
- Included gratuities to shipboard crew, guides, drivers, and porters
- Full-time logistical tour manager
- Expert local battlefield guides
- Informative map book including useful battlefield maps and archival images to be used throughout your journey
- Document wallet, personalized luggage tags, and customized name badge
- Personal journal and pen to document your journey